European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)


Necessary medical care in certain countries

When you take out HollandZorg health insurance, you automatically see the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in My HollandZorg. The EHIC entitles you to (partial) reimbursement of the costs for necessary medical care during a temporary stay in:

  • 27 EU countries
  • Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland
  • United Kingdom and Switzerland

It concerns the costs that are covered by the public healthcare insurance in the Netherlands.

Medically necessary care with your EHIC

You will not be fully reimbursed in all countries. The insurance package and cover differ from country to country. The website of the European Commission tells you, country by country, which medical care you can count on. 






Note: foreign hospitals are in general familiar with the EHIC, but the same cannot be said for all general practitioners, pharmacies and other care providers. In that case, contact the HollandZorg Emergency Centre. They will send proof of insurance to the care provider. They will also tell you whether the care is (partially) reimbursed.

Call the Emergency Centre if care is provided abroad

If you need care outside the Netherlands and outside your country of residence, it is important that you always call the HollandZorg Emergency Centre first. This is because our staff will tell you which care provider you should contact with your EHIC and whether the care is really urgent. Are you going to a care provider yourself without calling the emergency centre? If so, you may have to advance the amount or you may not be reimbursed for what you expect. 
The telephone number of the HollandZorg Emergency Centre is +31 (570) 687 112. Save it in your telephone so that you can find it quickly when you need it. You do not call the HollandZorg Alarm Centre if you need care in the Netherlands.

Is there anything the European Health Insurance Card cannot be used for?

You cannot use the European Health Insurance Card for planned medical treatment abroad or for healthcare expenses incurred in your country of origin. For healthcare in your country of residence, you can use the S1/E106 form.

European Health Insurance Card for family members

Co-insured family members from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland apply for a European Health Insurance Card at the CAK. They will need an ID number for their application.The CAK will notify you accordingly as soon as the health insurer in your country of residence has notified the Zorginstituut Nederland of your family members being co-insured. You will receive individual letters with ID numbers for each family member. Visit the website of the CAK.