Healthcare allowance


A financial contribution from the government


Everyone who works and/or lives in the Netherlands can receive a contribution from the Tax and Customs Administration to pay part of the care premium. This is called the healthcare allowance. If you are a foreigner and you are coming to the Netherlands to work and/or live, you can also apply for the healthcare allowance.


What is the healthcare allowance?


The healthcare allowance is a financial contribution towards medical costs and it serves to keep the public health insurance affordable for everyone. The extent of the healthcare allowance depends on your income. The Tax and Customs Administration/Benefits pays the amount.


When do you receive the healthcare allowance?


  • When you are 18 or older.
  • When you are on a low or middle income. Want to know if your income qualifies you for this allowance? Then visit the website of Belastingdienst Toeslagen
  • If you have Dutch nationality, have a residence permit or if you are a resident of the European Union.
  • If you work in the Netherlands or if you receive benefits in the Netherlands.


Has your situation changed? Has your salary increased, for instance? In that case, you have to notify the Tax and Customs Administration of the changes as soon as possible. This prevents you from having to pay back anything later.


Healthcare allowance for foreigners can be requested from the Tax and Customs Administration

You can apply to the Tax and Customs Administration for the healthcare allowance. Remember, we will not send you any notification about this, this is done by the Tax and Customs Administration.

Visit the website of Belastingdienst Toeslagen for up-to-date information.