Patient transport includes transport by (private) car or taxi or public transport over a single travel distance of up to 200 kilometers
- to a care provider
- to an institution where you are staying. Or from this institution to a person or institution where you will receive an examination or treatment or where you will be fitted with a prosthesis
- to your home or another home, if you come from one of the care providers referred to above
The situations mentioned above will be reimbursed (in part) under the public healthcare insurance, the Exceptional Medical Expenses Act (Long-Term Care Act (Wlz) or Youth Act, patient transport does not include ambulance transport
When will you qualify for reimbursement?
Under the public healthcare insurance, you will be reimbursed for the cost of patient transport if you:
- need to have kidney dialysis: transport regarding consultations, examinations and check-ups needed as part of the treatment will also fall under this reimbursement;
- need to have oncological treatment with chemotherapy, immune therapy or radiotherapy: transport regarding consultations, examinations and check-ups needed as part of the treatment will also fall under this reimbursement;
- are only able to move about in a wheelchair.
- your eyesight is so poor that you cannot move about unaided.
- are under the age of eighteen and dependent on intensive childcare;
- are dependent on daycare treatment that is provided in a group and that is part of a care programme for chronically progressive degenerative disorders, non-congenital brain damage or in connection with a mental impairment.
- you rely on geriatric rehabilitation care.
Cost of overnight stay
You are entitled to reimbursement of accommodation costs instead of (a reimbursement of the costs of) patient transport:
- when you are entitled to patient transport; and
- you need such transport at least three consecutive days; and
- using accommodation is more effective and less of a strain on you than travelling between your home and the treatment centre every day
In that case, you qualify for transport to and from the treatment centre and reimbursement of the costs of 2 overnight stays near the treatment centre. The reimbursement of the accommodation costs is a maximum of €82,- per night. You must book the accommodation yourself.
Patient transport also includes transport under the following special conditions:
- you will be dependent in the long term on transport in relation to the treatment of an illness or disorder. The non-reimbursement of this transport would be very unreasonable for you. Read our conditions of insurance to see how we determine this.
- Transport for a patient escort, is the escort is necessary, or concerns the accompaniment of an insured party under the age of 16. In special cases, we can give our written consent for the transport of 2 escorts.
- Transport in a vehicle other than a car or public transport, if transport by car or public transport is not possible. You will need prior written permission for this.
- Transport over a distance of more than 200 kilometres. You will need prior written permission for this.
To be eligible for reimbursement for patient transport, send us an application form that has been completed by your general practitioner or a medical specialist.
Reimbursement under public healthcare insurance
Under the HollandZorg public healthcare insurance, you qualify for the reimbursement of the costs of patient transport for a one-way travelling distance of a maximum of 200 kilometres.
- The reimbursement for patient transport by (your own) car is € 0,30 per kilometre. We calculate the number of kilometres based on the fastest route according to the ANWB route planner by entering the departure postcode and the destination postcode.
- The reimbursement for the use of public transport will only apply to the lowest class of the public transport in question.
- If you use contracted taxi transport, the reimbursement will be 100%.
Reimbursement under the supplementary insurances
Under the supplementary insurance Top you are entitled to reimbursement of transport from your home address to the place in the Netherlands where you get care. It should concern care that is reimbursed under the public healthcare insurance. In addition you are entitle to reimbursement of the transport of one accompanist if the accompaniment is medically necessary.
|Top||a maximum of € 200,- per calendar year|
|No Risk I||none|
|No Risk II||none|
Under the maximum reimbursement we reimburse:
- the statutory personal contribution for patient transport
- the costs of public transport lowest class
- the costs of transport by a contracted taxi company
- € 0,70 per kilometre for transport by a non-contracted taxi company
- € 0,30 per kilometre for transport by private car
Statutory personal contribution
Patient transport is subject to a maximum statutory personal contribution of €113,- per calendar year. The statutory personal contribution also applies to the return trip to the treatment centre if you use accommodation. Please consult the policy conditions for situations in which the statutory personal contribution does not apply.
Are you 18 or older? The costs incurred for patient transport will count towards your compulsory policy excess.
Who can provide patient transport?
For patient transport with your (own) car, you can use your own car or that of someone else. For patient transport by taxi, you can use a taxi operator. For patient transport by public transport, you can use a public transport company.
Are you requesting permission for the reimbursement of travel costs for your patient escort? If so, send us an explanation from the referrer explaining the need for the accompaniment.
Please send requests for permission to:
7400 VB Deventer
No stamp is necessary.
The information on this page is a brief outline of the reimbursements only. No rights can be derived from this page. You can only derive rights from our insurance conditions.
Your health insurance
In MyHollandZorg you will find all information about your health insurance policy.
Reimbursements, conditions and regulations 2022
Maximum rates for a non-contracted care provider
If, for care included in the public healthcare insurance, you choose a healthcare provider with whom we have not made any agreements, the rates in the Rate list for non-contracted care will apply. Do the rates charged by the non-contracted healthcare provider exceed our maximum rates? In that case, the difference will be payable by you. This will apply for reimbursement both under the public healthcare insurance, and the supplementary insurance.
Where to go for healthcare
Use our care guide to find a (contracted) care provider near you. For more information, contact customer services on +31(0)570 687 123. Our expert employees will be happy to help you.