Healthcare in country of residence

Medical care in your country of residence

Healthcare abroad with S1/E106 form

If you live in a treaty country and you have taken out HollandZorg Public Healthcare Insurance, you can ask HollandZorg for the so-called S1/E106 form. This form is a declaration that says you have Dutch health insurance and that you are therefore also entitled to medical care under the regulations of your country of residence. You are also entitled to all care covered by the healthcare policy of the HollandZorg Public Healthcare Insurance. The reimbursements of this healthcare in your country of residence are according to Dutch criteria. Costs are not always reimbursed in full, depending on your country of residence.

Important to know:

  • when you enroll in your municipality in Netherlands (Dutch primary registration people (BRP)) then comes the S1/E106 form lapses.
  • We fill the S1/E106 form after application is complete. This fully completed forms as soon as possible, usually you must personally and within 6 months in to the health insurance of your home country.
  • The E-106/S1 form is valid with effect from registration date to the date of deregistration of your health insurance.

Healthcare insurance through employer?

Have you taken out Flexpolis healthcare insurance through your employer? They will arrange for your health insurance to start and end. You request the S1/E106 form through your employer. You will then find the S1/E106 form in your personal online environment, ‘My HollandZorg’.

Healthcare in country of residence for co-insured family members

Is your country of residence a treaty country and do you want your family members included on the policy of your Dutch health insurance? When you contact the healthcare insurer in your country of residence and show the 106 form, this insurer will tell you which family members can be co-insured. Read more about co-insuring family members.

Healthcare in EU/EEA countries and Switzerland with EHIC

When you take out HollandZorg Public Healthcare Insurance, you automatically receive a digital European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The EHIC entitles you to (partial) reimbursement of the costs for necessary medical care during a temporary stay in:

  • 27 EU countries
  • Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland
  • United Kingdom and Switzerland

It concerns the costs that are covered by the public healthcare insurance in the Netherlands.

Note: You cannot use the EHIC for healthcare in your country of residence. For that, you need an S1/E106 form.

Healthcare in EU/EEA countries and Switzerland for co-insured family members

Do your co-insured family members reside in an EU/EEA country or Switzerland? That means they can apply for an EHIC from the Health Insurance Board (Zorginstituut Nederland). The EHIC entitles them to urgent medical care in another EU/EEA country and Switzerland. That includes the Netherlands. Read more about the EHIC for you and your family.Among other things, the Health Insurance Board (Zorginstituut Nederland) is responsible for the administration of the Health Insurance Act and the Wlz for Dutch people on low incomes who reside abroad. Visit the website of the Zorginstituut Nederland for more information about health insurance abroad.