Basic mental healthcare
In basic mental healthcare a psychiatrist cannot be a coordinating practitioner.
The care is divided into the following care trajectories (the basic mental healthcare profiles):
- General Basic Mental Health Care Short
- General Basic Mental Health Care Medium
- General Basic Mental Health Care Intensive
- General Basic Mental Health Care Chronic
The care trajectories may consist of different components, such as: intake, diagnosis, treatment by means of individual interviews, group sessions or internet treatment, effects measurements, reporting and consultation.
Basic mental health care does not include:
- the treatment of adjustment disorders following a far-reaching event or change;
- help with work and relationship problems;
- indicated prevention in case of depression, panic disorders and anxiety disorders and problematic alcohol consumption;
- Care in the case of a psychiatric disorder or restriction if the insured is younger than 18.
More information on which treatments meet the state of the art and practice can be viewed at our website. We can also send you an overview on request.
Nationally, field agreements for mental healthcare are established by representatives of the government, healthcare providers, health insurers and patients. The care provider must provide the care in accordance with nationally established field agreements. You can view and download the nationally determined field agreements at www.zorgprestatiemodel.nl.
For basic mental health care a referral is required
You need a referral from a general practitioner, medical specialist, coordinating practitioner (in case of a referral), an occupational physician or a doctor affiliated to Nederlandse Straatdokters Groep:
- at the start of the diagnosis and treatment;
- after 365 days have expired after the start of care, except in the case of the care trajectory ‘Generalist Basic GGZ Chronic’;
- in the event of a new need for care. This is determined by your referrer.
The requirement for a referral does not apply:
- in the event of unforeseen care that cannot reasonably be postponed.
- in the case of mandatory treatment under the Dutch Mandatory Mental Healthcare Act;
- if the care is a direct continuation of;
- care provided to you by order of a judicial procedure;
- care provided to you by the same healthcare provider after the indication under the Long-Term Care Act has ended;
- care provided to you under the Dutch Youth Act;
- specialist mental healthcare for the same care need;
- in the case of a referral for the same care need between healthcare providers who are authorised to offer basic mental healthcare or specialist mental healthcare under these policy conditions.
The term of validity of the referral is nine months (275 days), counting from the date on which you registered with a designated healthcare provider to provide the care.
Reimbursement healthcare insurance
Your public healthcare insurance entitles you to reimbursement for basic mental healthcare.
|Public Healthcare Insurance||Reimbursement|
|HollandZorg public healthcare insurance||100% from contracted health care providers|
Maximum rates for non-contracted care providers
Do you see a care provider we have not made any arrangements with? In that case, the reimbursement is limited to the rates in accordance with the Rate List for Non-Contracted Care. If the rates of the non-contracted care provider are higher than our listed maximum rates, then the difference will be for your account.
No statutory personal contribution
There is no statutory personal contribution for basic mental health care.
If you are aged 18 or older, the costs count towards compulsory excess.
Where can you go?
The following care providers can provide specialist mental health care as the practitioner in charge:
- healthcare psychologists;
- clinical psychologists;
- a clinical neuropsychologist;
- a specialist geriatrics doctor who works at an institution for the provision of basic mental healthcare;
- an addiction specialist who works at an institution for the provision of basic mental healthcare;
- a clinical geriatrics doctor who works at an institution for the provision of basic mental healthcare;
- a specialist mental healthcare nurse who works at an institution for the provision of basic mental healthcare.
If you turn 18 in the year 2021 and you receive care at that time from a coordinating practitioner with a post-Master registration in the register of the Youth Quality Register Foundation (Stichting kwaliteitsregister Jeugd (SKJ)) or BIG register (usually a remedial educationalist or child and adolescent psychologist who is registered as a child and adolescent psychologist registered in the Netherlands Institute of Psychologists (NIP)), these care providers may continue to provide care as a coordinating practitioner for a maximum period of 365 days, starting from the day after the day on which you turn 18.
Also view the Reimbursements 2022.
The information on this page is a brief outline of the reimbursement. You can only derive rights from our insurance conditions.