Speech therapy

Speech therapy consists of the care that speech therapists generally provide. Speech therapy focuses on treating or alleviating problems relating to language, speech, hearing and swallowing. Stutter therapy falls under speech therapy too.


This type of care does not include:

  • treatment of language development disorders related to dialect or another native language;
  • the treatment of a language deficiency in Dutch and/or a foreign language, in the event of multilingualism;
  • treatment of dyslexia.

When will you qualify for reimbursement?

You will qualify for the reimbursement of speech therapy if:

  • the care has a medical purpose, and
  • the treatment can be expected to result in the restoration or improvement of the speech function or power of speech.

The care includes conditional speech therapy as referred to in the article on Conditional care.

Referral required for a non-contracted care provider

You need a referral from a general practitioner, medical specialist, youth doctor, doctor for the mentally disabled, specialist geriatrics doctor, company doctor, dentist, nursing specialist, physician assistant or a coordinating practitioner within the framework of medical care for specific groups of patients (GZSP).. This does not apply to care provided by a contracted care provider who has successfully completed the Direct Access course. YIf a referral is required, you must enclose a copy of the referral when submitting the invoice.

Reimbursement for speech therapy

Under HollandZorg public healthcare insurance, you will qualify for the reimbursement of speech therapy.
Public Healthcare Insurance Reimbursement
HollandZorg public healthcare insurance 100% for contracted care

Maximum rates for non-contracted care providers

Will you be receiving speech therapy from a care provider with whom we have not made any agreements? If so, the rates set out in the Rate List for Non-contracted Care will apply. If the rates charged by the non-contracted care provider are higher than our maximum rates, the difference will be for your account.

No statutory personal contribution

There is no statutory personal contribution for speech therapy.

Policy excess

Are you 18 or older? The costs incurred for speech therapy will count towards your compulsory policy excess.

Who may provide this type of care?

The following care providers are permitted to provide this type of care:

  • preverbal speech therapy: a speech therapist who is listed on the preverbal speech therapy sub-register of the NVLF;
  • aphasia therapy: a speech therapist who is listed on the NVLF's Aphasia register;
  • the Hanen parent programme It Takes Two to Talk (Praten Doe je Met z'n Tweeën = PDMT): a speech therapist who is listed on the NVLF's PDMT Hanen parent programme sub-register;
  • the Hanen parent programme More than Words (Meer Dan Woorden = MDW): a speech therapist who is listed on the NVLF's MDW Hanen parent programme sub-register;
  • individual stutter therapy: a speech therapist who is listed on the NVLF's stutter therapy sub-register;
  • integrated stutter care: a speech therapist or stutter therapist who is listed on the NVLF's integrated stutter care sub-register;
  • speech therapy in the event of Parkinson's disease: a speech therapist who is affiliated with the national ParkinsonNet network. Affiliation with the ParkinsonNet is not compulsory if the provision of care started before 1 January 2018;
  • other speech therapy: a speech therapist.

Reimbursements 2022

Also view the Reimbursements 2022.


The information on this page is a brief outline of the reimbursement. You can only derive rights from our insurance conditions.

More information

Use our Care Guide to find a (contracted) care provider near you. For more information, contact customer services on +31(0)570 687 123. Our expert employees will be pleased to help you.