Netherlands health insurance for foreigners

Are you a foreigner and coming to work in the Netherlands? Then you are obliged to take out Netherlands health insurance for foreigners.

You can do this after you have registered as a resident of the Netherlands in the municipality where you live. You will get a ‘Burgerservicenummer’ (BSN), which you need to be able to apply for our insurance. Your employer can take out health insurance for you through our HollandZorg Portal. If you take out health insurance yourself, you can do this through our website. If you are insured through your employer, we offer al total package with extra reimbursements. We also have multilingual services. You could say we have a Dutch health insurance in English. If you take out Netherlands health insurance for foreigners yourself, you can choose from several supplementary insurances and dental insurances. This way, you can decide for yourself which type of care you want to be insured for.

European Health Insurance Card

If you take out our Netherlands health insurance for foreigners, you’ll receive a digital EHIC-card via My HollandZorg. The EHIC entitles you to (partial) reimbursement of the costs for necessary medical care during a temporary stay in:

  • 27 EU countries
  • Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland
  • United Kingdom and Switzerland

It concerns the costs that are covered by the public healthcare insurance in the Netherlands.

You will not be fully reimbursed in all countries. The insurance package and cover differ from country to country. And although most hospitals are familiar with the EHIC-card, some other care providers may not be. In that case, contact the HollandZorg Emergency Centre again. They will send proof of insurance to the care provider. They will also tell you whether the care is (partially) reimbursed. You can contact the Emergency Centre via:

+31 570 687 112