health insurance for international workers covering all bases

Dutch health insurance that meets international workers' needs

Are you working in the Netherlands temporarily? You will need to take out health insurance for the duration of your temporary working contract. Everyone who lives or works in the Netherlands, needs at least basic healthcare cover. HollandZorg offers basic health insurance and optional extra's that meet your needs!
health insurance for international workers covering all bases

Dutch basic health insurance cover

Are you a temporarily migrant worker who lives or works in the Netherlands? Then make sure that you take out at least a basic package health insurance for this period. Even if you already have health insurance in your home country, if you work in the Netherlands, you are legally obliged to take out at least basic Dutch insurance. With this basic package, you are entitled to the most necessary medical health care, such as:

  • a visit to the general practitioner (GP)
  • hospitalization
  • emergency care

Two ways to get Dutch health insurance

There are two ways to take out health insurance cover in the Netherlands. You can organise your own, of course. But, if you work for an employment agency, your employer may arrange your health insurance policy for you. You are, however, responsible for your health insurance situation. If you're not sure whether you can get health insurance through your employer or you need to organise your own, make sure you ask your employer for information. HollandZorg has contracts with a large number of temporary employment agencies in the Netherlands. Please note: you are responsible for your own health insurance! 

Health insurance through your employer

Does your Dutch employer arrange HollandZorg health insurance for you? In that case, international workers can count on a  public healthcare insurance with supplementary insurances. These are the No Risk I and No Risk II.

Your compulsory excess is covered, too

In the Netherlands, there is a compulsory excess of 385 euro per year for everyone, on top of your monthly premium. This means that when you incur healthcare costs, you normally pay up to 385 euro of the bills yourself. This is called compulsory excess or ‘eigen risico’. With the HollandZorg No Risk I and No Risk II supplementary packages, your compulsory excess is also covered. You won't have to pay the compulsory excess. 

Organising your own health insurance

Not insured for medical care through your employer in the Netherlands? You can insure yourself and your family with HollandZorg. Opt for our public health insurance; it's obligatory for everyone who works in the Netherlands. Dutch government decides the content of the public health insurance each year. This content is the same for everyone. Only the reimbursements for non-contracted care, amount of the premium and choice of health care providers may differ per health care insurer. The HollandZorg public healthcare insurance is the most popular healthcare insurance among migrant workers in the Netherlands.

Migrants workers and family members are obliged to register

Do you live together with family members in the Netherlands? If so, make sure that they also take out healthcare insurance. At HollandZorg, you can register yourself, your partner and children for health insurance at the same time in just a few steps. The costs of Dutch health insurance depend on the age of your children. Insurance companies do not charge a monthly premium for children up to 18 years of age.

Do you work in the Netherlands and live outside the Netherlands in an EU/EEA country, the UK or Switzerland? Or do your family members live in an EU/EEA country, the UK or Switzerland? In that case, your health insurer in your country of residence will decide whether your family members can also be co-insured. You apply for the S1 form and send it to the health insurer in your country of residence. More information about insuring your family members.