Health insurance through your employer

Are you a migrant worker temporarily working in the Netherlands? If so, you are obliged to take out Dutch health insurance. You can do so through your employer. HollandZorg offers a package especially for migrant workers: Flexpolis.

We have agreements with a large number of employers (temp agencies). Through us, your employer will arrange for your health insurance to start and end when needed. Plus, our unique supplementary package covers your compulsory excess, making your life in Holland much easier!

Health insurance for foreigners working in the Netherlands temporarily

With our Flexpolis standard healthcare insurance plan, we've got your basic healthcare needs covered. This standard health plan is the same for everyone in the Netherlands. Your compulsory excess is covered by our additional No Risk I plan. This means you will not have to pay any excess. The HollandZorg Flexpolis is only available through employers who have made arrangements with us.

HollandZorg Flexpolis 2023

For more information, please read the terms and conditions.

Public healthcare insurance

Basic healthcare coverage*, including:

  • Hospitalisation
  • Emergency care
  • Visits to a general practitioner

* is identical for all health insurers

Supplementary insurance No Risk I

€ 385,-

Supplementary insurance No Risk II

  • Emergency dental care up to maximum of € 200,- per calender year
  • Repatriation within Europe in the event of medical need or death
  • Reimbursement of statutory personal contributions for medication

Which treatments are reimbursed?

We have made a short overview of the treatments covered under the standard health insurance. The overview also shows when you will have to pay a personal contribution.

Medical care in your home country

Under the HollandZorg Flexpolis, you are also covered in your home country (if you reside abroad and work in the Netherlands). For this you request the S1/E106 form through your employer.

Use this form to go to your health insurer in your country of residence. You will then be entitled to reimbursement of medical care in your country of residence. This must be a 'treaty country'.

If you officially live in the Netherlands, the S1 form is of no value abroad.

Medical care during a temporary stay abroad

If you are outside the Netherlands as well as your home country and you need medical care, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitles you to a reimbursement of the cost for necessary medical care during a temporary stay in EU/EEA countries or Switzerland.

In these situations, you should always call the HollandZorg Emergency Centre first: +31 (570) 687 112. Then you know exactly what you will and will not be reimbursed for your treatment abroad. Save this number on your telephone so you will always have it with you. You do not call the HollandZorg Emergency Centre if you need care in the Netherlands.

You can find your proof of insurance and EHIC in ‘My HollandZorg’

Once your HollandZorg Flexpolis has started, relevant documents will be available for you in your personal environment at ’My HollandZorg’. You register once for ‘My HollandZorg’ and then simply log in. Among other things, you will find here:

  • Your policy schedule. This is your proof of insurance.
  • Your digital European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). You can save your EHIC to your phone; you will then always have it to hand. Would you prefer a physical EHIC card? Then apply for it in ‘My HollandZorg’. More information about your digital EHIC.
  • Your S1 form. You can download this after your employer has applied for one on your behalf.
  • You can submit a claim via ‘My HollandZorg’. Because sometimes you will receive an invoice if you have seen a doctor.

Frequently Asked Questions

When do you need to take out health insurance if you work temporarily in the Netherlands?
If you pay wage tax in the Netherlands, because of work or unemployment benefit or sickness benefit, you are obliged to take out healthcare insurance.
What premium do I pay for my Flexpolis healthcare insurance?
You pay a monthly premium for your healthcare insurance. Your employer deducts the premium from your wage. The extent of the premium is shown on your policy document, which you can view at My HollandZorg
Can I get an allowance for the premium?
If your income falls below a certain limit, you can claim back part of the premium for your healthcare insurance. This is called the healthcare allowance. You can apply to the Tax and Customs Administration for the healthcare allowance. For more information, you can call the Tax Department foreign helpline on +31 (0) 55 5385 385.
Can I co-insure my family members?
You can co-insure your family members on your Dutch healthcare insurance if you work in the Netherlands and live abroad and your country of residence is a treaty country. To co-insure your family members, you request the S1 form through your employer. Use this form to go to your healthcare insurer in your country of residence. This healthcare insurer will decide which of your family members will be co-insured. If you officially live in the Netherlands, you cannot co-insure your family members on your Dutch Public healthcare insurance. More information about insuring your family members.
I stop working. Will my healthcare insurance stop as well?
Do you stop working? If so, your employer will inform us. It is possible that your employer informs us that you are receiving unemployment benefit or sickness benefit. If we are informed about this, we will request additional information from you in order to continue the Public healthcare insurance. This Public healthcare insurance does not go through your employer. The No Risk supplementary insurance will lapse. If we do not receive any notification from you or your employer, your Flexpolis healthcare insurance will stop. You will receive an e-mail about your 'deregistration letter', which will then be available in 'My HollandZorg.
I need a general practitioner (GP). How does this work in the Netherlands?
If you need medical care in the Netherlands and your life is not in danger, you visit a general practitioner (GP). If necessary, the GP will refer you to other care providers or the hospital. More information about the GP and emergency care.