Treatment for varicose veins

Varicose veins are widened veins that usually manifest themselves in your legs. You can recognise them as enlarged and winding veins in your leg.


Not only to varicose veins look ugly, they can also cause pain. Varicose vein treatment may offer a solution. A phlebologis is a physician who specialises in treating varicose veins.

Referral required for treatment for varicose veins

You need a referral from a general practitioner or medical specialist for varicose vein treatment. You must enclose a copy of the referral when submitting the invoice.

Reimbursement treatment for varicose veins

Under the public healthcare insurance you are entitled to reimbursement of varicose vein treatment if there is a medical indication. Your treating doctor is aware of the conditions for reimbursement from the public healthcare insurance and can tell you whether you meet the conditions to qualify for reimbursement from the public healthcare insurance.

If you are not eligible for reimbursement under the public healthcare insurance, you are entitled by virtue of the supplementary Top insurance for a varicose vein treatment.

Public Healthcare Insurance Reimbursement
HollandZorg public healthcare insurance 100% (provided there is a medical need and treatment is given at a regular hospital)
Supplementary insurance Reimbursement
Start none
Extra none
Plus none
Top a maximum of € 200 per calendar year
No Risk I none
No Risk II none

No statutory personal contribution

Treatment for varicose veins is not subject to a statutory personal contribution. If the costs of the treatment for varicose veins are higher than the maximum reimbursement, the difference will be for your account.


Are you 18 or older? The costs by virtue of the public healthcare insurance will count towards your compulsory policy excess and any voluntary policy excess.The costs for reimbursements by virtue of the supplementary insurance do not count towards your excess.

Who can you go to?

If you need treatment for varicose veins, you can go to a medical specialist working as a phlebologist. If you are planning on seeing a care provider with whom we have not concluded an agreement for treatment of varicose vains, the rates of the rate list for non-contracted care apply. If the rates of the non-contracted care provider are higher than our maximum rates, the difference will be for your expense.

Please note

The information on this page is a brief outline of the reimbursements only. No rights can be derived from this page. You can only derive rights from our insurance conditions.

Your health insurance

In MyHollandZorg you will find all information about your health insurance policy. 

Reimbursements, conditions and regulations 2022

Maximum rates for a non-contracted care provider

If, for care included in the public healthcare insurance, you choose a healthcare provider with whom we have not made any agreements, the rates in the Rate list for non-contracted care will apply. Do the rates charged by the non-contracted healthcare provider exceed our maximum rates? In that case, the difference will be payable by you. This will apply for reimbursement both under the public healthcare insurance, and the supplementary insurance.

Where to go for healthcare

Use our care guide to find a (contracted) care provider near you. For more information, contact customer services on +31(0)570 687 123. Our expert employees will be happy to help you.