Medical aids

The functioning medical aids and dressings indicated in our Medical aids regulations (in Dutch) fall under medical aids. The regulations also indicate the extent of care and whether you will loan or own the aid in question. You may need medical aids and dressings to treat a disorder or to help you with a disability.

Medical aids do not include:

  • Medical aids and dressings that you receive while admitted or medical specialist treatment in connection with admission or treatment. During admission to a hospital, for example. In that case, those medical aids form part of that care. In case of transmural care at home, the aids and required accessories (which belong to the main unit) are also included in the medical specialist care; In this situation, the dressings do fall under the medical aids;
  • Medical aids and dressings to which you are entitled under the Long-Term Care Act (Wlz)), the Social Support Act (Wet maatschappelijke ondersteuning (WMO)), the Work and Income (Capacity for Work) Act (Wet inkomen naar arbeidsvermogen (WIA)) and the Personal Budgets (Special Needs) Act (Wet op de leerlinggebonden financiering;also referred to as rugzakje)
  • The costs of the normal use of medical aids, such as energy consumption and batteries, unless stipulated otherwise in these insurance conditions.

Prescription needed?

You will require a prescription for medical aids. Our Medical aids regulations outline which care provider is able to issue a prescription, per category of medical aid.

The regulations also state the cases in which you will require our prior written permission. Please also consult the regulations for any conditions applicable to your request.

Reimbursement for medical aids

Under the HollandZorg public healthcare insurance, you qualify for medical aids and dressings (care in kind) that have been included in the Medical aids regulations. Depending on your supplementary insurance, you qualify for extra reimbursements for certain aids.

Basic Health Insurance   Reimbursement
HollandZorg basic health insurance 

Medical aids and dressings as per our Medical aids regulations

A lower reimbursement may apply for medical aids from non-contracted suppliers.

Some medical aids are subject to a personal contribution.

Supplementary Insurance  Reimbursement
Extra a maximum of € 100,- per calendar year*
a maximum of € 200,- per calendar year*
a maximum of € 300,- per calendar year*
No Risk I  none 
No Risk II  none

* The maximum applies to all medical aids put together: hip protectors, hearing aids, bed-wetting alarm and wigs

Hip protectors
You are entitled to reimbursement for hip protectors. You will need a prescription from a doctor and must enclose a copy of the prescription when submitting the invoice.

Hearing aids and (tinnitus) masks
You are entitled to reimbursement of the costs of your statutory personal contribution for hearing aids and tinnitus masks, under the condition that you bought the hearing aid from a contracted care provider.

Bed-wetting alarm
You are entitled to reimbursement of the costs of purchasing or renting a bed-wetting alarm. You will need a prescription from a doctor and must enclose a copy of the prescription when submitting the invoice.

You are entitled to reimbursement of the cost of a wig over and above the maximum statutory reimbursement under Dutch basic health insurance.

Maximum reimbursement for a non-contracted provider

Is the medical aid available from a contracted supplier when needed, but you choose to use a non-contracted supplier instead? Then, a maximum reimbursement applies. The non-contracted supplier will need to meet the conditions set out in our Medical aids regulations. In this situation, a medical aid or dressing that we would normally sell to you is reimbursed up to a maximum of 75% of the costs we would incur if you had received the care from a contracted care provider. In this situation, we also reimburse a maximum of 75% of any repair costs in connection with the medical aid.

In this situation, the costs of a medical aid that we would normally give on loan are reimbursed per calendar year. In this situation, we will reimburse a maximum of 75% of the costs we would incur for providing this care on loan in the calendar year in question. Here, we offset the number of days in the calendar year that you qualify for medical aids against the number of days that you will have the medical aid at your disposal.

Statutory personal contribution

A statutory personal contribution may apply for medical aids and dressings. Our Medical aids regulations set out the medical aids to which this applies.

Some medical aids are subject to a statutory maximum reimbursement. The statutory personal contribution also includes costs that exceed the statutory maximum reimbursement. You will bear these costs.

Depending on your supplementary insurance you are entitled to reimbursement of the statutory personal contribution (hearing aids) or a reimbursement of the personal contribution that remains after the statutory maximum reimbursement under the basic health insurance (wigs).

Policy excess

Are you 18 or older? The costs incurred for medical aids will count towards your compulsory policy excess. There will be no policy excess for medical aids that you receive on loan, except the consumables or usage costs corresponding to the medical aids.

Who may provide this type of care?

You may obtain medical aids and dressings from a contracted supplier. Use our Care finder to find a care provider near you. You could also opt to use a non-contracted supplier. Medical aids regulations (column G) outline which care providers may provide care in this situation.

Please note:

The information on this page is a brief outline of the reimbursements. No rights can be derived from this page. You can only derive rights from our insurance conditions.

Your health insurance

In My HollandZorg you will find all information about your health insurance policy. 

Maximum rates for a non-contracted care provider

Have you chosen a healthcare provider with whom we have no contract? Then, we will reimburse according to our maximum rates. If the rate invoiced by the non-contracted care provider is higher than our maximum rates, you will have to pay the difference yourself. You will be able to find contracted care providers with our Care finder.

Reimbursements, conditions and regulations 2023